The Oakford Bridge sat on the Old Lincoln Highway in Lower Southampton, about three miles north of Philadelphia. It was a relatively long bridge at 191 feet with two spans.
The bridge was apparently well-used due to its location. Bucks County installed lamps on the bridge as early as 1895. In June 1917, the Automobile Club of Philadelphia warned motorists to use care approaching the bridge, since local police had set a speed trap there.
Newspaper reports show that Fred McPeek won the contract to build a new bridge at the Oakford location in March 1922 for about $35,000.