The Centre Bridge Company built the first version of a covered bridge between Center Bridge and Stockton in 1814. However, there were immediate construction problems with the bridge, including a faulty pier. The entire bridge was rebuilt in 1830.
Three of the six spans on the 821-foot bridge washed away in the 1841 floods, and the bridge was rebuilt yet again. The repairs worked, and the bride survived the 1861 and 1903 floods.
However, its end came in 1923. Already struck by two fires that year, on July 22, 1923, lightning hit the bridge, leading to its total destruction. It was soon replaced with a steel bridge.
The Center Bridge fire is the subject of a famous painting by the Bucks County artist Edward Willis Redfield.